Health Information Technology (HIT) is transforming health care by impacting quality, efficiency, cost-effectiveness, and engagement. In parallel, new self-monitoring technologies and large-scale data analytic techniques open up unprecedented opportunities to inform decisions and choices of individuals who must manage their health and chronic diseases in everyday life. As the impact of these technologies continues to increase, HIT researchers and practitioners are increasingly focusing on the design of interactive systems, human factors, and human–computer interaction.
Many different research communities contribute to the advancement of interactive health technologies; these include human–computer interaction, human factors, biomedical informatics, behavioral medicine, among others. The overarching goal of WISH is to establish lasting and meaningful connections between these communities and bring together students and researchers from various disciplines who are working on creating, implementing, and evaluating innovative health technologies.
For WISH 2017, we are accepting three types of submissions: (1) Original Research, (2) Research Highlights, and (3) WISH Panels.
- Original Research submissions discuss previously unpublished work in the space of interactive systems for health care. These include, but are not limited to, studies of user engagement with a variety of HIT and design and evaluation of novel HIT systems. Submissions in the Original Research category should follow the AMIA format with a page limit of six pages (including references).
- Research Highlight submissions allow researchers to share work relevant to WISH areas of investigation that was already accepted for publication and/or presented at other venues in the period between December 2015 and November 2017 (NOT including AMIA 2017). These submissions should include ONLY the abstract of the original publication and a brief summary explaining the significance of the work for the WISH audience. These submissions should also include a statement that their submission to WISH does not conflict with the policies of the venue where the work was originally published or presented. The summary and statement should together constitute the “manuscript”.
- Proposals for WISH Panels should indicate who would be moderator, and should include at least three panelists. Please write 1-2 pages of content summarizing the panel topic and an additional 1-2 page(s) summarizing the bios of the panelists and moderator. Once you are ready to submit in the Scholar One submission system, please submit in the Original Research category with “Panel Proposal: “ in the title.
During the submission process, you will be asked to select the forms in which you would be willing to present your accepted submission—either as an oral presentation and/or as a poster presentation. The poster session will take place during the late afternoon/early evening. For all accepted submissions, the program committee will consider and decide upon one of the presentation formats, based on the number of submissions received, the quality of the work to be presented, and the overall diversity of the technical program.
Accepted submissions will be published on the WISH at AMIA 2017 website. Authors retain all copyright. We encourage submissions discussing novel design approaches, experimental results, qualitative studies, policy and theoretical contributions, and interactive systems-related content. The goal of the workshop is to foster discussion, encourage broad ideas, and bring together a wide interdisciplinary audience.
All submissions will be regarded as the final publication-ready version of your submission. Therefore, the abstract and paper submission must be clearly written, carefully proofread and correctly formatted. Please keep your abstract to about 300 words.
- Submissions Due: Monday, August 28th, 2017 by 11:59PM Eastern
- Submission Notifications: Wednesday, September 27th, 2017
How to Submit
Please use the following site to submit work to WISH:
You will need to register with ScholarOne, if you have not already done so.
Once you create an account and log in, select the Submission tab, next to the Welcome tab. Under the Submission tab, you will see “Create New Submission.” Select WISH 2017 from the list on the right, and then click on the orange Continue button. When filling out the submission form, the “manuscript” is the document you are submitting for review, and you will need to both select the file on your system and as a separate step, upload the selected document using the submission form. Please also submit a CV or Biosketch (note: this step is optional).
New this year: WISH is working with the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to allow attendance at WISH to count toward Continuing Medical Education credits for clinicians. To support this process, each submission must include a description of at least one Learning Objective.
Please read these helpful tips for formulating learning objectives.
Once you submit using ScholarOne, you can move your submission to “draft” mode to make any changes, leading up to the deadline. However, don’t forget to re-submit your draft before the deadline!
If you have any questions or need further information, please contact us.